Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Reality Bites

I have been slowly coming down from the mental high I've been on since the 2007 RWA National Conference. However, on yesterday, I was plummeted back to Earth in a very "in your face" way. Being jarred out of bed at 6:00 a.m. because of a house fire tends to do that to a girl.

I know I promised more pictures from Dallas. And they're coming, I promise. But when your place catches fire, things tend to be put into perspective. I'm still trying to decide if that's a good thing or not. I'm currently leaning toward the NOT category.

The fire was actually in a separate storage/ rec room that's about 10 feet from the main house, so we are extremely lucky it was caught in time. Still, a lot was lost.

This futon was the perfect place to relax on a Sunday afternoon and watch the bevy of football games provided by NFL Sunday Ticket. It's no longer the ideal place to cheer on my New Orleans Saints.



If you look closely, you'll find a bright spot here. My Tony Little exercise machine was toasted. Great reason not to exercise! Okay, that was really bad. I'll still find a way to exercise. (Jennie, if you read this, please don't call or text. I promise I'll be ready for the Disney Half-Marathon!)



Thankfully, this cabinet no longer held DVDs. Unfortunately, those shopping bags still held a ton of Christmas decorations. :(



Of course, I am so incredibly thankful that no one was hurt in the fire, and for the most part, most of the things lost should be covered by insurance. However, I nearly fell into a fit of tears yesterday when I realized my treasured John Grisham hardback collection, including a Wynnwood Press first edition of A Time to Kill, was lost.

I know, I know. It's just a "thing". It shouldn't be important. But for a bookworm like me, it is important. And, of course, I feel like a whiny child for saying so.

But still...

Have you ever felt guilty for losing a material possession?