Thursday, November 01, 2007

NaNoWriMo

It's November 1st, which means it's the start of National Novel Writing Month. I've wanted to take part in NaNoWriMo for the past three years, but could never work it into my writing schedule. This year I was determined to be a part of this cool writing adventure. Weeks ago, I devised my plan of attack. I would have my current Work-In-Progress completed before November 1st and devote the entire month to this new idea that has been floating around in my head.

Well, guess what? I finished that novel! Problem is, I finished it last night. That's right. I printed out my latest WIP only a few hours before the official start of NaNoWriMo.

Once I finally complete a book I've toiled over for months (exactly 10 months for this one), I like to give myself a few days to relax and clear my head. It's the only time of the year when I can read for pleasure and not feel any guilt that I should be writing my own book instead of reading someone else's. My ritual usually includes an expensive piece of chocolate, as well.

Not this time.

If I'm going to be true to NaNoWriMo, I've got to get right back to work. The goal for today is 1667 words; just about 6.5 pages. The thought has my head spinning, but it's what I signed up for.

Anyone else out there taking part in NaNoWriMo 2007? C'mon, share your goals!