Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Nora Roberts Rocks!

This past week, the amazingly talented and extremely successful Nora Roberts took home the prize for Book of the Year at the Quill Awards in New York City. This is so cool for the world of romance writing.

Usually, I try to keep my blog free of rants (except when it comes to traffic, of course), but one of my biggest pet peeves are the snickers, giggles, and sneers I receive when some people learn I write romance. This doesn't happen often. Most of the people I meet think it's cool, but there are the opinionated few who don't consider me a "real" writer because of the genre I've chosen to write in. Funny, the book sure as hell didn't write itself.

Additionally, I'm continually baffled that no one will admit to reading romance, yet we all know what the sales statistics say. If you don't know, look it up. Romance novels sell extremely well, depsite the lack of respect the genre receives from the rest of the writing community.

I believe Nora Robert's Quill Award win is a boost for all of us who are not ashamed to shout to the world that we read and write romance novels. I should also say that Nora Robert's win is very well deserved. In my opinion, she is the face of the romance writing world, and we romance writers are lucky to have her on our side.

Whew! It feels good to get that rant off my chest. I may have to institute Ranting Wednesday.

Now, I have a question for all of you. Be honest, do you hide your love of romance novels? If you do, why? Is it because of the covers, which most writers have no control over whatsoever, I might add? Is it the stigma that has continued to stain the genre? (Just in case you haven't read a romance since 1983, you should know that they've changed).

C'mon! Speak up! I promise not to hold it against you. :)