Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The not-so-saintly New Orleans Saints

Last year around this time I was flying high as my beloved New Orleans Saints enjoyed a dream season . Expectations were extremely high this year, and I just knew the Saints were going to live up to them.

Umm...yeah. Not so much.

As a person who eats, sleeps, and dreams football, my pain on Sunday afternoons has become physical. There is an ache in my belly every time Olindo Mare attempts a field goal. All I can ask is "Where's John Carney?" Deuce McAllister is out for the season, leaving most of the running back duties to Reggie Bush. Drew Brees just doesn't seem to have the same fire in his eyes (or his arm) as he had last year. The entire team lacks drive. It's so depressing.

The one bright spot in all of this is that the entire NFC South has been struggling so far this season, so there is still hope for the Saints!

Actually, another bright spot has been college football. The LSU Tigers are at the top of their game and the top of the NCAA sports world, and the Ohio State Buckeyes, whose starting lineup features a star player who is near and dear to me, has been steadily climbing in the polls. Thoughts of a LSU/OSU Championship Game this January in the Louisiana Superdome is starting to dance in around in my head.

Football is still fun!

Labels: , , ,