Thursday, July 17, 2008

Video Chatting

This is more a plea than my usual spouts of inane drivel that takes up space on the world wide web, but I know my blog readers are a smart bunch, and I can really use some help.

I was recently asked to participate in a phone chat with a book club in Denver who chose my latest novel, Release Me, as their July read. Isn't that the coolest thing ever? Seriously, I was floored! Have you read Release Me yet? You should. It's good. Just ask the book club in Denver.

Okay, enough with the shameless promotion. Let's get to the problem at hand here.

I figured with the ever increasing internet technology out there, we could do better than the telephone. After all, we're no longer in the Dark Ages. However, because I know absolutely nothing about all this cool technology (I really am in the Dark Ages when it comes to this stuff), I have no idea how to go about this video chatting business I suggested. Brilliant, huh?

Before my critique group members step in to argue, let me say that this will be a PC-to-PC conversation. My critique group members are all cool Mac users, and ever since one of our members, Shauna Roberts, moved to California, we've been conducting our meetings via Mac's great iChat feature. It would be great if an Apple fell from a tree and landed in my lap, but since that probably won't happen, I need some PC help.

So, any ideas? I've found something call CamFrog, and Skype, which I've actually used before, but not on my own computer.

If any of you out there know a little something about video chatting, let me in on it!