Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Doing the Author Thing

These past few weeks since the release of my second novel, Release Me, have been filled with what I call "author things". Online and print interviews, book signings, the occasional book store drive-by to make sure my book is being stocked (my local area Wal-Mart's still don't have it); these are all the things that I would not do if I were not an actual author. It's cool doing the author thing.

I had another of those fun experiences recently when I was asked to give a presentation on my "incredible journey to publication" (their words, not mine) at a local library.

I'll share a secret. Before I started doing the "author thing" you couldn't pay me to speak in front of a group of people. Okay, maybe if you paid me a lot of money, but it would have to be enough to buy a new hybrid car. I abhor public speaking. However, over the last year and a half, I've had to adjust. I still don't like it, and probably never will, but I'm getting better at it. I think.

Here are a couple of shots from my speaking engagement at the St. Charles Parish Library:

Ms. Sue was nice enough to give me a lovely introduction. She thinks it's cool that I'm actually writing a book in their library study room everyday. I think it's way cool that she's a librarian!



How lovely to be surrounded by writing craft books, and my own novels, of course.





Big thank you to the folks at the St. Charles Parish library and the patrons who came to hear me speak. There was one young reader looking for books that would appeal to a young boy, around age 13 or 14, I think. Any ideas, folks? I suggested James Patterson's Maximum Ride series, but other than that, I'm still drawing a blank. If you have ideas, throw them out there for me! I'm going to email them to his mom.