Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Brain Food

While browsing the writing/reference book aisle of the huge Barnes & Noble in Union Square last week, which, by the way, puts the little section in my local B&N to shame, I ran across a writing book that gave tips on what foods you should eat to feed your brain. It was a wake-up call. Now, I know certain foods make me feel sluggish (usually the ones that taste really good), and others give me energy, but I never linked it to my writing productivity.

Some of the "brain foods" on the list were fresh fruits and veggies that can provide healthy carbohydrates, certain nuts, such as walnuts that are high in Omega-3 fatty acids, and green tea.

One big no, no: Coffee!

*insert my big dramatic sigh here*

Here's the deal. I love coffee. Wait, let me correct that. I love caffeine, and my consumption mode is by way of coffee. I've accepted my addiction and am trying to deal with it. Green tea does nothing for me (though it can possibly help me fight cancer, if studies are accurate).

So, here's my question, are there any believers in "brain food" out there--specifically green tea drinkers? Should I give it a try? And if I do, how long before I feel the affects?

To test your knowledge on "brain food", check out this quiz on WebMD.

If you want to read more about the benefits of "brain food" on increasing productivity, check out this article.

If there are any other creative minds out there who want to give the "brain food" theory a try, let me in on it.