Monday, May 19, 2008

Six Unremarkable Quirks

My friend and critique partner, Shauna Roberts, tagged me for the Six Unremarkable Quirks meme. Here are the rules:


-Link the person who tagged you.

-Mention the rules in your blog.

-Tell about six unspectacular quirks of yours.

-Tag six bloggers by linking them.

-Leave a comment on each of the tagged blogger's blogs letting them know they've been tagged.


Okay, so I'm breaking the meme and not tagging six other bloggers, but I'm sure it'll make its way around the blogosphere without my help.

So, from an extremely quirky person, here are six unremarkable quirks:

1. I have to sleep with cotton in my ears. It stems from something that happened long ago in my childhood that you would have to beat out of me with a hollowed out cane stick.

2. I often times have do things in three or sixes, or even if I don't do them, I think of doing them (performing the sign of the cross, switching on the light switch, brushing a strand of my hair). I know this is slightly OCD, and I accept that, though I can't believe I'm revealing it on my blog. I'll probably come back and erase this one after meditating on the fact that I've just told the world what many have thought for a long time...I really am certifiable.

3. On my drive home, I love listening to talk radio and holding one-sided heated debates with the radio show hosts. I've become so animated that I've had to hold my cell phone to my ear so other drivers would think I'm having a conversation with someone other than myself. (Does this also attest to my insanity?)

4. When I check into a hotel room, one of the first things I have to do is make sure there's an iron. Thing is, I rarely iron my clothes anymore.

5. I will spend significant time arranging books in proper order in bookstores. I know many "book people" do this, but in my case it causes serious anxiety for me to see a book out of order.

***An aside to Dr. Charles Gramlich, my former psychology professor, and a regular reader of my blog: Thanks for teaching me that there is an actual term for my "quirkiness". I choose not to get help for it, though.***

6. I'm addicted to making lists simply because of the great sense of relief I get from checking items off once I'm done.

The scariest part about this entire post is that I kept the really crazy quirks to myself. Yes, people, be afraid, be very afraid, but remember to order your copy of Release Me, which hits stores in just one week!