Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Great China Adventure: The Great Wall


I won't waste space with much commentary on this week's post because the pictures speak for themselves. On our second full day in Beijing, we awoke to a city covered in a thick dusting of snow. We were told by our tour guide that it was rare to have snow so late in the season. I have to believe God wanted to sprinkle a little magic upon our time at The Great Wall. It was hauntingly beautiful.

It has been estimated that over a million people died building this structure (some estimates go as high as three million). As I walked upon the bricks that were laid by those hands, I couldn't help but soak in the history.


This is my aunt Cathy and I standing on The Great Wall of China at Badaling.


China is still so very proud to have hosted the 2008 Olympic Games. You can still find the tagline "One World, One Dream" just about everywhere in Beijing.


This structure is one of the most magnificent things I have ever seen. To think that it goes on for over 3500 miles--that's equivalent to driving from New York to Los Angeles, then halfway back again!


I was able to capture so many postcard-worthy shots. I kept thinking to myself...if only I had a good camera.


Just another random shot made magical by the snow. This is actually the entrance to the Badaling portion of The Great Wall.



This is a picture I have wanted to take for years, my hands upon the Great Wall of China. I also have a couple showing my feet walking on The Wall.


Here is the official declaration naming The Great Wall of China one of the new Seven Wonders of the World. One down, six to go!

That's just a small portion of all the great photos from my time at The Great Wall. If you have ever even thought of visiting China, it is worth it just to visit this magnificent place.

Next up is Beijing's Hutong District, which turned out to be my favorite portion of the first leg of our three-city journey.