Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Throw Me Something, Mister!!!

It's Mardi Gras, ya'll!!!

As someone who has attended just about every Mardi Gras for at least the past 30 years (even in the second grade when I had the Chicken Pox and Mom told me to just pretend it was my Mardi Gras mask), this is one of those days when I am really missing my hometown. There is nothing like New Orleans on Mardi Gras day.

When I talked about Mardi Gras with my co-workers, and shared a great King Cake (yeah, had to have King Cake), many of them had a misconception of what Mardi Gras is like. Mardi Gras is not just that one thick sea of people on Bourbon Street you see in pictures. As a matter of fact, I've never stepped foot on Bourbon on Mardi Gras day.

Mardi Gras is about family. Staking a spot on Canal Street or St. Charles Avenue, or even in Metairie--I've done them all--and watching the parades roll by while you eat good food and share it with whatever family has staked out the spot right next to you.

In the past few years, I've appreciated just standing back watching the beauty of it all. Sure, I'll catch a bead here and there, and if someone is dangling a Zulu coconut from the side of float, get out of my way! But it is just a majestic display that leaves you absolutely breathless.

If you've never experienced it, get your butt on down to New Orleans next year. There's just nothing in the world like the Big Easy on Fat Tuesday!

Happy Mardi Gras!!!

Labels: