Thursday, April 10, 2008

Reading, Writing, and Jambalaya!

This past weekend, I had the pleasure of attending the 5th Annual Jubilee Jambalaya Writing Conference in the lovely town of Houma, Louisiana. The Jubilee has become quite a festival for the written word. This year, there were dozens of writing workshops and presentations for aspiring writers, with very big names in the publishing world sharing their wisdom.

Best-selling author F. Paul Wilson gave a witty look at the life of a published author in his keynote address. Others on hand included New York Times Best seller (and fellow Dorchester author) Bobbi Smith, and the fabulous Heather Graham. Of course, there was a slew of New Orleans area authors, including C.S. Harris, Laura Joh Rowland, Hailey North, and Rexanne Becnel.

I presented two workshops. The first was on blogging. Of course, I stressed the importance of providing pictures for your blogging audience, and once again, I am picture-less. I took some, I just forgot to upload them to my computer. *sigh* Maybe I should start my next blogging presentation with the statement, "Do as I say, not as I do!"

For the second workshop, I shared the stage with fellow first-time author, June Shaw. We discussed what first-time authors can expect once they get published, because as any first-time author knows, it is not all roses. If it has been for you, I don't want to hear about it. :P June Shaw is hilarious, and never fails to harass me for getting published at such a young age. In fact, she started the talk by informing everyone that she has underwear older than me.

I encourage anyone who loves reading and writing to attend next year's event. It is simply fabulous.

I promise to post pictures, but in the mean time, hop on over to C.S. Harris's blog. There's even a picture of me!

Labels: