Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Perils of the Internet

The Internet can be a dangerous, dangerous thing.

No, I'm not talking about the MySpace predators Chris Hansen exposes on Dateline, or the scammers stealing your credit card numbers. I'm talking about the dangers of good-natured blogs (like my own), romance review sites and message boards, and ABC.com, with its full episode online feature that allows me to watch Grey's Anatomy all day long.

You see, this week, I'm working full days at my day job. Usually, I leave around noon, find a coffee shop, and write for about three hours. This week, my co-worker and I did a little switcheroo. I'm covering her while she's visiting a friend in New York City, and next week she'll return the favor while I play Big Apple Tour Guide to 60-plus high school drama students and their chaperons from my old high school.

Even though I have all intentions of bringing my laptop and writing my heart out while in NYC, we all know how these trips turn out. So, to give myself a bit of a cushion, I've hauled my laptop, word processor, and notepad to work everyday this week, determined to write.

Over the past two and a half days, my output has been exactly two paragraphs.

*insert overly dramatic sigh*

I'm not sure how it happens, but I go to check one email and it turns into three hours of hopping from website to website. Now, I could blame this on my severe lack of discipline, but I'd rather blame in on the lure of the Internet and all its extremely interesting content.

I cannot wait to get back to the pay-by-the-minute wifi of the coffeeshop. The Internet is cool, but not cool enough for me to pay for it.