Monday, March 31, 2008

Reviving a Tennessee William's Classic

Last week, I had the honor of witnessing one of the best casts to ever perform in a Broadway play. Of course, this is of my own opinion, and since I've seen a very limited number of plays (I'm more of a musical kinda gal) on Broadway (A Raisin in the Sun with Puff Daddy/P. Diddy/ Sean Combs, and Julius Caesar with Denzel Washington), my opinion probably doesn't hold much weight. However, many reviewers agree that the ensemble performing Tennessee William's classic, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, is stellar.



The cast made history by being the first all-African American cast to take on the play on Broadway. This June, I expect Tony nods for the phenomenal performances by James Earl Jones, Phylicia Rashad, Terrence Howard, and the fabulous Anika Noni Rose.




Rose was amazing as Maggie the Cat. Sexually frustrated, but determined to win back her husband, Anika Noni Rose's monologue in the first act left me breathless. She commanded the stage from her very first line.

Terrence Howard is fast becoming one of my favorite actors. His performance as Brick, the alcoholic ex-athlete, was as wonderful as I expected it to be. He makes it look effortless.



I was lucky enough to meet both Anika Noni Rose and Terrence Howard after the show. It was so worth standing in the cold, New York air.


While I did not meet James Earl Jones, I did get his signature on my Cat on a Hot Tin Roof window card, along with several of the other stars. Big thanks to the cool stage hand who took my poster and Playbill backstage. Not like he'll ever see my blog, but I feel better thanking him. :)

If there is any chance in the world for you to get tickets to this show, it is worth the trip to New York. It is not to be missed.

Labels: , , , , , ,