Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye, 2009!

I’m a sucker for nostalgia, and every year around this time, I find myself thinking about all that has transpired over the past twelve months. While it seems as if I just popped open that bottle of champagne a co-worker gave me as a gift, and settled in to ring in 2009 with my then work-in-progress (No Ordinary Gift) and Dick Clark’s Rocking New Year’s Eve party muted on the TV, a lot has happened in the span of this year.


Here are just a few things that standout:


1. I saw two new titles published, the conclusion of my Holmes Brothers series, Rescue Me, and another holiday story, No Ordinary Gift, in the Holiday Brides anthology.


2. I accepted my first two-book deal from my dream publisher, Harlequin (first Kimani Press book comes out this year!)


3. I cried like a baby on Inauguration Day as President Obama took the Oath (Just so we’re clear, they were tears of joy. I know others cried tears of another kind. J)


4. I cheered on my little cousin Brian as he was chosen as the 36th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.


5. I welcomed a new nephew into the world. Brandon Michael was born on September 4th.


6. With a heavy heart I said goodbye to several family members, including my dear friend, Andrea Taromina Pool, who gave breast cancer the big eff you after kicking its butt for two years.


7. I watched my New Orleans Saints sail to their best start ever, and am still cheering along with the Who Dat nation!


8. I made great strides in honing my writing craft and working toward achieving my ultimate goal, becoming a full-time writer.


I know this year was filled with tons more (the great vacations I took, the friendships I rekindled via Facebook, becoming obsessed with the TV show GLEE), and I’m optimistic about what the start of a new decade will bring. I’ve got ambitious writing goals, more fabulous travel plans (including my first trip abroad!), and the motivation to finally, finally get healthy! I’m determined to do it this time.


I hope you share some of your favorite, or not so favorite, memories of this year.