Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The New "O" Factor

Ever since the launch of her book club, Oprah Winfrey's influence over the publishing industry has been a undeniable. I can't count how many people told me I need to get Oprah to feature my book on her show. Yeah, right, because Oprah always picks romance novels for her book club (excuse the snark).

Well, it looks like there's a new figure whose name is equivalent to the Midas Touch. And that name...Obama.

By now, I'm sure you all have heard of how Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent, a 1973 book by Eduardo Galeano, jumped to the top of all the bestseller lists after it was given to President Obama as a gift by Hugo Chavez. Last checked, the novel was still in the top ten on Amazon.com.

Some may argue that it wasn't Obama, but the fact that the gift came from Chavez that skyrocketed it to the top. Somehow, I doubt there would be this kind of buzz if Chavez had given the book to your random political leader.

I think it's safe to say there's a new "O" Factor. Too bad for me, I doubt I can get the Prez to read a Farrah Rochon novel.