Wednesday, September 24, 2008

When it's in your blood

It's true. For some people, writing is just in your blood. I recently discovered that I'm one of those people.

You see, over the past few weeks, I've had one huge obstacle after another. First, there was the killer deadline that I blogged about on the Reader's Room (formerly Blogging In Black). Then, there was Hurricane Gustav (also mentioned in the previous blog). Next, there was that life-altering move to another city.

With all those things going on, I decided to give myself a break from writing. I was not going to think about any of my current works-in-progress or the story ideas floating around in my head. Not until Wednesday, October 1st. That's the day I return from my annual trek to the happiest place on Earth where the big mouse lives.

I should have known better than to try to give myself time off from writing. How can I stop doing something that is just...well...in my blood. I cannot not think of the tons of stories I'm waiting to write. Even when I try, they continue to call me.

So, what did I do today? I said to heck with my writing vacation, took out my trusty notepad and started sketching out my next novel. After all, it's what writers do.

I know there are a lot of writers out there who read my blog who know exactly what I'm talking about. How about the rest of you? Do you have a life's passion that's just in your blood?